A degree in French or Italian helps you to develop a variety of marketable skills that are prized by employers in many career areas and industries. Our graduates have gone on to careers in teaching, journalism, international business, translation, diplomacy, and many other fields.
Some of the skills you’ll gain include:
- Language competence: effectively communicating in French or Italian on a wide range of subjects
- Regional and international expertise: a deep cultural competence about French or Italian culture, history, literature, politics and education
- Methods of analysis: ability to critically think, discuss and examine foreign texts and other media sources in their original language
- Research synthesis: develop strong evidence-based arguments, assess the strengths of the analyses of others, and defend your own position
- Communication: the ability to communicate knowledge–facts, concepts, arguments–with experts and non-specialists, through writing and oral communication