Past scholarly conferences
- 2020 Lyric Landscapes
February 28: A symposium on poets and their places across the medieval world.
- 2020 Panels on Panels Conference: Comics Studies at Indiana University
February 13-14: A two-day conference devoted to the appreciation and study of comic books.
- 2020 Pluralism and the Engaged Humanities
February 14-15: A Symposium in Honor of Eileen Julien
Guided by Professor Julien’s decades-long critical and creative examination of the intersectionality of race, gender, institutional structures, and theoretical localities, this event seeks to bring together a select group of scholars from different disciplines to contribute to the larger conversation on the role and forms of theoretical, pedagogical, and community engagement in the humanities today.
- 2019 Paulin Vieyra: Pioneer of African Cinemas—Filmmaker, Producer, Historian.
September 5-6: The multifaceted Vieyra was at once a practitioner and a scholar of African cinema and media as it was being formed in the decolonization era of the 1960s. Animated by the preservation and restoration efforts of Vieyra’s son Stéphane, our purpose in the workshop is to explore the legacy of this film pioneer in terms of his papers and audiovisual materials and to consider the feasibility of making a home for them here at Indiana University.
- 2018 Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition - North America conference
September 27-30: The GALANA conference, held every 2 years at different universities, featured theoretically informed research on all types of language acquisition scenarios. Keynote speakers included Charles Reiss (Concordia University), Lydia White (McGill University), and Charles Yang (University of Pennsylvania).
- 2018 Workshop on Exemplary Affect: “Rethinking the Roots of Modern Sensibility”
April 6-7: This workshop brought together an international group of scholars from diverse fields to investigate the collective dimension of affect and its genealogy in a new light.
- 2017 Le Sens et les sens / Sense and the Senses: International Colloquium for 20th and 21st Century French and Francophone Studies
April 6-8: Our department hosted this annual international gathering of scholars in 2017, when our keynote speakers included Patrick Chamoiseau, Nathalie Heinich, and Philippe Falardeau.
- 2015 The 13th Generative Approaches to Second Language Acquisition Conference (GASLA)
March 4-6: GASLA, an annual event held at different universities, provided a forum for discussion of research on second language acquisition, bilingual and multilingual acquisition, psycholinguistics and neurocognition.
- 2014 Symposium on Contemporary Italian Culture
March 26-27: This symposium featured music composer Cosimo Colazzo, journalist Antonio Nicaso, and poet Ernesto Livorni.
- 2014 Conference on Italian Pop Music and Lyrics
March 29: Our department hosted several experts on 20th and 21st century popular music in Italy: Chiara Mazzucchelli, University of Central Florida; Gianpaolo Chiriacò, Università del Salento/ Center for Black Music Research; Paola Barzan, Università di Padova/Fondazione Levi, Venezia; and keynote speaker Cosimo Colazzo, Conservatorio di Trento.
- 2012 New Ways of Analyzing Variation NWAV – A Conference in Sociolinguistics
October 25-28: The 41st annual conference was hosted at IU and featured three renowned keynote speakers: Norma Mendoza-Denton (University of Arizona), Dennis R. Preston (Oklahoma State University), and Sali Tagliamonte (University of Toronto).