Florence skyline from Piazzale Michelangelo
Grand Canal, Venice
Chateau Haut Koenigsburg in Alsace France
Folio from Le Roman de la Rose, 1390
Ewa musicians in Mekoviade, Togo
Bienvenue and benvenuto! The Department of French and Italian at Indiana University-Bloomington offers courses ranging from elementary language to doctoral seminars, with topics ranging from French dialectology to Francophone media studies; from medieval manuscripts to the Mafia in Italian film. The expertise of our 23 faculty members covers the spectrum of French and Italian language, literature, culture, and pedagogy, and we also sponsor a rich program of co-curricular activities including music, lectures, cooking, and even sports in French and Italian. Discover all that FRIT has to offer!
- "Understanding and Misunderstanding: Interpretations in Language and Literature"
An interdisciplinary graduate student conference hosted by the Department of French and Italian
March 1-2 2019
- New Trends in Modern and Contemporary Italian Cinema (10th annual Film Symposium featuring director Wilma Labate)
April 17-20, 2019
- Professor Kevin Rottet's Comparative Stylistics of Welsh and English was recently published with co-author Steve Morris.
Read more here
- Professor Nicolas Valazza has published a new book on influential French poets such as Verlaine, Rimbaud, and Mallarmé who were not highly valued by the publishing houses of the day.
- We have great course offerings in French and Italian for Spring 2019
Check them out here!
- ONLINE COURSES: New, lower rates are now available for non-degree out-of-state students who want to take only online foreign language courses!