Florence skyline from Piazzale Michelangelo
Grand Canal, Venice
Chateau Haut Koenigsburg in Alsace France
Folio from Le Roman de la Rose, 1390
Ewa musicians in Mekoviade, Togo
Bienvenue and benvenuto! The Department of French and Italian at Indiana University-Bloomington offers courses ranging from elementary language to doctoral seminars, with topics ranging from French dialectology to Francophone media studies; from medieval manuscripts to the Mafia in Italian film. The expertise of our 23 faculty members covers the spectrum of French and Italian language, literature, culture, and pedagogy, and we also sponsor a rich program of co-curricular activities including music, lectures, cooking, and even sports in French and Italian. Discover all that FRIT has to offer!
- We have great course offerings in French and Italian for Spring 2019
Check them out here!
- French medievalist Elizabeth Hebbard has moved from a visiting to a tenure-track faculty position in FRIT
Learn more about her here
- Join us in congratulating our graduate students for receiving external awards!
- FRIT welcomes Akash Kumar as Visiting Professor of Italian
- ONLINE COURSES: New, lower rates are now available for non-degree out-of-state students who want to take only online foreign language courses!
- Aix-en-Provence program alumni reflect on their study abroad experiences.