- Renaissance and early modern literature and culture (lyric and epic poetry, comedy, macaronic, pastoral, humanism, classicism).
- PhD, Italian, Yale University (1998)
- Laurea cum laude in Lettere Moderne, Alma Mater Studiorum-Università di Bologna (1990)
I was trained in Italy and the US as a historian and critic of Italian literature. My research focuses on Renaissance and early modern literature and culture, particularly the macaronic, pastoral and lyric genres, as well as comedy, heroic and mock-heroic poetry. My interests include literary memory and genealogy, comedy as a shaping force of the Italian literary tradition, the relationship between 'high' literature and popular culture, and the interplay of philology and criticism. In my work, I address the ethical and political implications of literature, specifically the humanistic concept of literary education (the humanæ litteræ) as a path toward a more civilized and 'humane' humanity and the relationship between literary creation and political power. I recently completed a critical edition of partially unpublished works by the 16th-century philologist and critic Lodovico Castelvetro. The book I am currently working on is tentatively titled Conflitti e soluzioni nel Classicismo rinascimentale and focuses on the literary culture of Renaissance classicism, the dominant cultural model in early modern courtly and aristocratic society.
- Lodovico Castelvetro. Parere sopra una comedia di Aristophano et sopra ciascuna di Plauto. Ed. critica a cura di Massimo Scalabrini (Bologna: Commissione per i testi di lingua, 2015). 126 pp.
- Folengo in America, Ed. Massimo Scalabrini (Ravenna: Longo, 2012), 216 pp.
- L'incarnazione del macaronico: Percorsi nel comico folenghiano (Bologna: Il Mulino, 2003). 190 pp.
- “Comicità e vanto nella letteratura rusticale e nenciale.” Giornale storico della letteratura italiana CLXXXVII (2010): 530-542
- "Pastoral Postures: Some Renaissance Versions of Pastoral." (with Davide Stimilli). Bibliothèque d'Humanisme et Renaissance LXXI/1 (2009): 35-60.
- "Esempi di onomastica comica tra Boccaccio e Ariosto." Strumenti critici XXIV/1 (2009): 55-68.
- "The Peasant and the Monster in the Macaronic Works of Teofilo Folengo." MLN 123/1 (2008): 179-191.
- "Città e campagna nel macaronico folenghiano: Una lettura di Baldus VI 67-229." Esperienze letterarie XXXI/3 (2006): 43-60.
- "Gli amori ridicoli dell'eroicomico: Tassoni e la storia di Lucrezia." MLN 120/1 (2005): 223-238.
- "'Il piggiore uomo forse che mai nascesse': La novella di ser Ciappelletto e la poetica del comico." Italian Quarterly XLI/159-160 (2004): 55-60.
- "Un inedito travestimento secentesco del Baldus." Rivista di letteratura italiana XIX/1 (2001): 173-179.
- "Umanesimo e anti-umanesimo in Giovanni Della Casa." Schede umanistiche ns 1999, 1: 81-96.
- The Pen and the Sword: Literature and Power in Early Modern Europe
- The Cultures of the Italian Renaissance
- Laughter, Humor and Wit in the Italian Renaissance
- Masterpieces of Italian Literature I and II
- Italian Short Stories: From the Middle Ages to the Present
- Forms of Civility in the Italian Renaissance
- Teorie e pratiche del classicismo rinascimentale
- Teorie e pratiche dell’anticlassicismo rinascimentale
- The Italian Erudite Comedy
- Macaronico e ‘altro’ Rinascimento
- Ariosto and Folengo
- Categorie dell’eroico e dell’eroicomico
- ‘High’ and ‘Low’ in Italian Renaissance Literature
- What is Italian Pastoral? Pastoral Tradition and Italian Renaissance
- Renaissance Humanism
Honors, Fellowships, and Awards
- Trustees Teaching Award, Indiana University – Bloomington, 2001-02, 2009-10, 2013-14
- Lester J. Cappon Fellowship in Documentary Editing, The Newberry Library, 1-6/2006
- Outstanding Junior Faculty Award, Indiana University - Bloomington, 2004-05
- College Arts and Humanities Institute Fellowship (one course release), Indiana University – Bloomington, 2004-05
- James Phillip Holland Award for Exemplary Teaching, Indiana University – Bloomington, 2002-03
- Sterling Prize Fellowship, Yale University, 1992-94
- Baltz-Seronde Fellowship, Yale University, 1992-94
- University of Bologna Graduate Student Exchange Award, Indiana University - Bloomington, 1991-92
- Erasmus Scholarship, Pembroke College, Oxford - The European Union, 4-7/1989