- Renaissance epic
- 19th-century Italian narrative
- Italian-American history
- PhD, Romance Languages (Italian), The Catholic University of America, 1967
- MA, Italian, The Catholic University of America, 1961
- Biennio, Università di Firenze, Italy 1955-1957
For about thirty years I taught at Indiana University a variety of undergraduate language, literature and cultural history courses, as well as graduate courses and seminars on Boccaccio, Italian Epic Poetry and 19th Century Narrative. I believe that teaching is one of the best and most rewarding professions in the world, and it is a great satisfaction for me to see that almost all the graduate students whose dissertations I have directed are by now full professors of Italian themselves. I have served in leadership roles related to teaching, including as Director of the Middlebury College Italian School, Middlebury, Vermont, for nine consecutive summers (1987-1995) and as Elected Secretary-Treasurer (1980-1983) and President of the American Association of Teachers of Italian [AATI] (1984-1987). I have also conducted numerous regional and national surveys (published both in this country and in Italy), on the teaching of Italian in American schools and institutions of higher learning.
Since my retirement in 2000, I have taught several semesters as an Adjunct Professor in the Department of French and Italian, most recently M453, Twentieth-Century Italian Literature and Culture.
- Italia allo specchio (with F. S. Mirri). Perugia, Italy: Guerra Edizioni, 2007.
- First English edition of Luigi Pulci's Morgante. The Epic Adventures of Orlando and his Giant Friend Morgante. Translated by Joseph Tusiani.Introduction and notes by Edoardo A. Lèbano. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1998.
- Italian. A Self-Teaching Guide. New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc. Publishers (1988, 2nd edition 2000.)
- "Giulio Cesare Cortese (circa 1570 – 1626?)." In Dictionary of Literary Biography. Seventeenth-Century Italian Poets and Dramatists.. Vol. 339. Edited by Albert N. Mancini, New York: Gale, 2008: 106-112.
- "Amore e donne innamorate nel Morgante". Italica. Vol. 82, 3 (2005): 374-383.
- "Giuseppe Garibaldi e gli Stati Uniti d'America. Una grande occasione mancata". La Scuola Italiana di Middelbury (1996-2005). Passione, Didattica, Pratica. A cura di Antonio Vitti. Pesaro: Metauro Edizioni, 2005: 265-285.
- "The Three Longest Duels in Italian Chivalric Literature". The Flight of Ulysses. Edited by Augustus Mastri. Annali d'Italianistica, Studi e Testi 1997: 135-45.
"Dall'Italia all'Indiana: cent'anni di emigrazione italiana a Clinton" (1856-1952). Il Veltro 1-2 XL (gennaio-aprile 1996): 162-67.
Honors, Fellowships, and Awards
- Awarded by Antonio Augenti, Direttore Generale degli Scambi Culturali of the Ministero della Pubblica Istruzione a Plaque in recognition of his life-long efforts to promote Italian Studies in the United States (Montecatini, Italy, December 1995).
- Recepient of the AATI Distinguished Service Award (1994)
- Granted by Francesco Cossiga, President of Italy, the title of Cavaliere nell'Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana for cultural merits (Spring 1987)
- Urigh Award for Excellent Teaching, The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin (Spring 1968).